Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Linux hacked

From: "Nicholson, Dale" <DNicholson () APACMail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:57:33 -0500

Thanks all for your support.  The box remains offline for now but based on
all of the good ideas provided on this list I have decided to start from
scratch.  I don't have the time or resources to ensure the machine is clean.
Tonight I'm going to format the hard disk and start rebuilding.

Does anyone have some good ideas on how to protect the machine while it's
getting setup?  How about ipchains rules?  The way I built the machine
before took almost a week to download and compile everything and I'm
paranoid about getting re-hacked while this process is going on.

One of the biggest differences from what I had set up before is I plan to
install tripwire.  Does anyone have a script already written to get new
checksums when you upgrade a piece of software?  How about experience
setting up tripwire?  I'm not sure how to tell it which files need to be
looked at and which don't.  I'm guessing this is a RTFM type of thing, but
if someone has a good script already written that I could use as an example
I would appreciate the help.

Dale