Security Basics mailing list archives

Re:Secure Port Testing

From: "Ghaith Nasrawi" <libero () aucegypt edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:46:24 +0000

netcat

g.

To          : security-basics () securityfocus com
Cc          :
Date      : Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:49:36 -0400
Subject : Secure Port Testing

Hello List,

I am responsible for testing connectivity between customers and vendor
sites and often need to verify and test firewall settings for extranet
connections before the data link is available.  In the past I would
just set up a test box on a test LAN on the external interface of the
Firewall and pick a service and run it on  whatever port I need to
test. I am looking for something more secure and configurable that
wont put an actual service out in the open.  Hopefully a tool that
will allow me to open ports on a windows / or *nix box without
actually having a particular service running there.  Maybe a banner,
or just something that will allow me to determine if the connection
was successful.  Preferably I would like the ability to open multiple
ports at a time and be able to make quick to changes.  My methodology
is that if I get a positive connection I know the firewall is allowing
me through and routing properly.

Any recommendations for tools or different perspectives on how to test
this will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

"Our care should not be to have lived long as to have lived enough.",
Seneca