Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 2000 server ports, services to close.

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 14 Oct 2004 12:02:55 -0000

Could someone please advise me on how and what ports do I have to shutdown
for a Microsoft Wintendo 2000 server.
If anyone has a link, URL, doc, etc to advise me, it would be soo
apprecaited

It would help if you could delineate which ports you want to close.

The easiest way to go about doing so is to simply remove the service that uses the port.  If you simply do not want all
of those ports open, remove the services that use them...Terminal Services, backup software, etc.

You might also want to check out this link:
http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/breves/min_srv_res_win.en.html

However, I'd caution you to carefully consider what you want to disable.  Removing NetBEUI is simple enough, but
remember that you loose things such as file sharing, etc.  You can effectively close down TCP ports 139 and 445, but
you end up loosing things you or your admin use.

Hope that helps,