Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: TCP/IP CRC question

From: Simon Zuckerbraun <szucker () sst-pr-1 com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:16:02 -0500

Clement,

Could you explain this for me a little more? I don't yet understand the scenario. If the attacker is able to alter the data within the packet, I would think that he'd also be able to alter the checksum to correspond. In what scenario does the attacker have a need to find a collision?

Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks,
Simon