Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Web Hosting / and Site Security Question

From: Miles Stevenson <miles () mstevenson org>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 02:53:38 -0400

Salutations,

I could write a book answering your questions. Unfortunately for my checking
account, those books have already been written. =) So you'll have to settle
for a rather lengthy email response...

My question is
does it make sense / is it necessary to incorporate SSL onto our web
page.  Specifically I am concerned with the page that contains the
link to the third party website.  My thought is that the page that..

First and foremost, I applaud you for taking security seriously and beginning
to ask questions BEFORE you have an actual security problem. This kind of
proactive attitude is essential for sound security in any field, not just
computers, and demonstrates that you are off to a good start.

Now about your question on if you should integrate SSL onto your corporate
webpage:

It sounds to me like you might be headed down the wrong path, in that you are
starting with the technology. I can assure you that any IT Security
professional worth a salt will tell you that this is not where you want to
start. Specifically, you don't want to start by picking out security
technologies and trying to find ways to apply them in order to provide
security for your organization. This is a common problem, and will end up
costing you a lot of money down the road, as well as a security plan that
doesn't match your situation (which has a huge impact on the effectiveness of
your organizations security).

First, you have to start by identifying what it is you are trying to protect.
This is the most essential question you have to answer. Note that there might
be more than one answer here. You may have an entire list of things that you
are trying to protect, such as trade secrets, proprietary processes,
financial data, public image, etc. You mention website defancements, so
public image would definitely encompass that. What else?

After you have a good idea of what it is that you are trying to protect, comes
the often difficult task of trying to quantify the value of what it is you
are trying to protect. This can often be very difficult if not impossible to
do accurately. The key here, is that you don't want the amount you spend on
security to be greater than the value of what it is you are trying to
protect. For example, if you estimate that your corporate website is
responsible for approximately 3% of your revenue, which comes out to about
50k dollars a year, then you don't want to spend 60k on website security. On
the same token though, if that figure comes out to be more like 300k, and you
are only spending about 200 dollars to protect it, then you probably are not
investing enough.  These kinds of estimates are much more art than science
though, so please don't take my examples literally. Lots of books and papers
have been written about this subject that I can't possibly hope to encompass
in a paragraph.

Now its time to figure out what you are trying to protect this asset from. Who
is going to be attacking you? How are they going to be attacking you? These
are very important questions you have to ask yourself before you are ready to
start looking at technology solutions. After this kind of research and
planning, will you be in a position to make a good choice on what exactly it
is that you need to provide for a rational security solution for your
organization.

At the time that I am writing this response, I have yet to see anyone else
respond to your post, but I am almost certain you will ellicit responses
specifically dealing with SSL: what it is, what it is used for, how it can
properly be used to protect assests, and what kind of assests it can protect,
etc. So, I won't spend too much time on this part unless my predictions turn
out to be wrong.

In short, I think you are trying to use SSL for authentication. You want to
prove to visitors that your site is the "real McCoy" and not an impostor.
Digital certificates can in fact help you with this, and SSL would be the way
to go as far as a web-friendly protocol that provides for certificate-based
authentication. However, there are a ton of things to consider here as well:

-Are visitors to your website actually going to bother to check the digital
certificate and signature to make sure they are valid and signed by someone
they trust before they click on any of your links? This is almost NEVER the
case as far as websites go for the general public.

-Is it more important to prove that your website which provides the link is
the real thing? Or is it more important to prove that what you are actually
linking to (the 3rd party page you mention) is actually the real thing? What
exactly is it that needs to be authenticated?

-Is authentication the only thing you need? Do you need the confidentiality
and/or integrity provided by encryption? Are you trying to protect any
sensitive information from theft or corruption?

...etc, etc etc.

As you can see, there is a whole lot to consider here. I hope that at the very
least, I've pointed you towards asking the right questions.

And now for the second part:

Secondly, this company has been using a mom and pop shop for web and
email hosting since its inception.  Now that the web page is going to
be used more actively for promotional use and the company is growing
in size I believe there is a need to start being more security minded
about the hosting of the site.(i.e. potential for defacement, et al)
I would like to find a company that can host the website and email
that does annual security assessments and penetration testing, and can
provides us with SAS70 Type II or similar documentation.  Any
recommendations about companies that you have used or worked with
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

In short...Yes! If you are going to outsource your organizations IT
operations, and security is a concern for you, then it will be very important
to make sure that the company you go with practices sound, rational security
doctrines.

I think one of the best ways to evaluate potential vendors, is to schedule a
walk-through of the hosting facility. Come prepared and bring a notepad. Ask
them questions like "How do you provide for an audit trail of what happens on
the system?" "Who is going to have access to my data?", "Do you have an
incident response plan, and what are your procedures?" "Do you practice your
incident response plan?", etc, etc.
If a company is standoffish about these kinds of questions, or cannot provide
you with complete and reasonable answers, then go somewhere else. If they are
very up-front with these kinds of questions, and can answer them directly and
clearly, it is a good sign that they have done their homework and that they
are on top of things. This isn't full-proof (beware of the really good
salesman that can talk the talk), but in my experience it is a very strong
indicator. You definitely want to start looking elsewhere when you start
getting vague and mysterious answers like "that is proprietary information
which we can't share" when you ask about incident response procedures.

The only thing I don't like about standard security assessments such as SAS70,
is that there are SO MANY of them. There are a slew of government and
commercial standards, certs, assessments, and everything else for an
outsourcing company to live up to, and its just too expensive for a lot of
organizations to get some of these, as well as being very confusing for the
client. While these "stamps of approval" can surely help to legitemize sound
security practices, they are NOT a substitute for asking questions and doing
your own research on the company. Don't rule out a vendor simply because they
don't have an SAS70 stamp of approval. But ask what they DO have, and find
out what kind of testing they had to endure to get it. Certification &
Accreditation (C&A) processes can be both very effective, and highly
overrated. I've been on both sides of the coin. I see a lot of these that
simply come down to paperwork and checkmarks, to others that take the point
of view that there is a universal security solution that is right for
everyone, and that everyone should adhere to it. I'm no expert on the
subject, but I have yet to see a C&A that really impresses me.

Also, beware of a vendor that tries to suck you into too much security.
Security is a BIG business right now, and there are a LOT of companies out
there that want to sell you solutions that you simply don't need. Some of the
marketing wizards can be very good at making it sound like all these
"whiz-bang" technologies, gadgets, and other doo-hickey's are things that you
just HAVE to have if you don't want to be hacked by every script kiddie on
the block. For a security company, the best way into a CEO's wallet is
through his fear. This is why it's important to have a good understanding of
what kind of security you DO need, what is reasonable, and what is simply
irrational. One good rule of thumb is what makes a security solution
effective: about 45% people, 45% planning, and only 10% technology. The
experience and  expertise of the people responsible for your security and the
careful planning of your security is MUCH more important than the actual
tools & technology. I find that in a very general sense, the more skilled
people you have, the less you need to spend on fancy tools. But this is also
at the price of paying for quality people. Again, this isn't in every case,
but I find that most of the really talented security professionals I know and
work with (and I know a lot of them!) prefer the more basics tools, like
tcpdump, ethereal, nmap, nessus, snort, and other free or very low-cost
technologies over the fancier stuff, myself included.

Finally, take heart in that if you find yourself lost in the woods when it
comes to computer security, you are not alone! The security-basics list is a
great place to ask questions. A resource that I love to recommend to those
that want to learn more about computer security (but not as a professional
interest, more as a hobby, or because you are in a management position and
you have to make security-related descisions) is a book by Bruce Schneier
called "Secrets & Lies". This is a wonderful, fairly non-technical
introduction to security that covers almost all the basics, and you don't
need to be a "techie" to read it. It would surely be of help for the kinds of
questions you are asking. It's also quite entertaining!

If you haven't fallen asleep yet...good luck! And please keep us all updated
about your progress!

Regards,

--
Miles Stevenson