Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: forensics tools - preserving data?

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:43:11 +0100

Don't bother.

If they want to use it in a court of law anything less than a
recognisable expert in the field will be shot down by any half decent
lawyer. There are many tools that would help you, but if you don't have
any forensics training then you will only be weakening your employers
case. The fact that you have poked around in there already is bad for
your case, evidence can easily be planted in most computer systems,
you've been in there touching files and running programs, probably even
booting up the OS to do so. All of this is bad for forensic integrity
and ammo for the ex-employees lawyer.

I suggest asking for advice on the forensics list, or even for
recommendations of reputable companies in your area to carry out the
work.

Lawyer's questions:
"You are an employee of CompanyX, surely it's in your interest to see my
clients case fail ?"
"Which forensics school did you go to again ?"
"Did you seriously base your companies case on a tool some guy
recommended on the internet?"

You don't want to be stuck trying to answer questions like these (which
took me a few seconds to think up, a good lawyer would make you look
like a complete ass, that's their job), advise your employer to get
_independent_, verifiable, expert witnesses.