Security Basics mailing list archives

Portsentry detects scan on port 631

From: k2c k2c <jrk2c () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:31:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi to all!

I have a server which runs portsentry and a windowsXP
client on the same network.

My problem is that the windows XP client sends a
broadcast UDP packet at intervals of 30 seconds to
port 631. This port is the ipp port, as all of you
know.

The server receives this broadcast and portsentry
detects it as a UDP port scan, which for him it is a
port scan attack. Because this broadcast happens at an
interval of 30 seconds, my log files become very large
because the server is running 24 hours a day.

How do i disable the broadcast in the Windows machine
?

Thanks to all in advance

Jo