Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: DOS Attack Follow Up

From: "Times Enemy" <times () krr org>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:11:24 -0700 (MST)

Greetings.

Others may have mentioned, but you may want to change any WEP/WPA keys,
assuming this is not automagically/already done.

Wireless encryption may be cracked if enough packets are captured and
analyzed.  RST packets may drop a connection.  If the target drops, it may
then automatically attempt to reconnect, generating more packets.  For the
attacker, this is a nice utilization of, what is hopefully, a single RST
packet.  Flooding RST's is rather obtuse, and/or obvious, but capable.  On
a highly populated AP, large AP node, RST's are more effective.

As a "preventative" measure, i suggest physically locating the source of
the broadcast(s) ....  ;)

ciao
.times enemy

Hi List. Thank you all for you insightful replies. I am posting this as a
follow up to some comments and questions.

I am caputing the traffic by SPANing a port on my switch to a port where I
have a box running ethereal. I don't think the internal network is being
spoofed because during the outage all traffic is coming from the 'outside'
to the 'inside'. The traffic is unicast not broadcast. During the attack
there are RST packets only, no data. Does any know how to prevent this
type
of RST attack? Thanks.

shawn