Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: deny access

From: Sean Earp <smearp () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:53:25 -0600

If you pull up this IP in a web browser, it is an OWA 2003 server, and
according to SamSpade, the IP address belongs to a company called
"Cummings Oberkfell and Ristau", which appears to be an auditing/CPA
company.  <http://www.samspade.org/t/lookat?a=216.212.33.185>

The certificate provided by the site is for mail.cummingscpa.com,
which also happens to resolve to this IP address.  In other words, it
appears to be a legitimate Exchange Server for a legitimate company.
If you look up the company name on Google, the first several results
list a phone number for the company.  I would call and explain the
situation, and see if you can get in touch with a System
Administrator.  It may be an honest mistake on their end, or they may
have a compromised server.  In either case, a friendly phone call
could probably go a long way.  Just my 2 cents...

-Sean

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:27:40 -0700, Carlos Garcia