Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: log monitoring, changing iptables

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:03:51 +0200 (IST)

Hi.

On Tue, 22 Nov 2004, Tom Boulay wrote:
      I'm sorry if this is overly simple, I'm just new to it.  I'm trying to
figure out a way to monitor my system logs and use that information to
ignore traffic from an IP address for, say, 15 minutes after three
failed login attempts.  My machine (2.4.x) only has ssh listening.  My
logs seem to have some marathon repeated root login attempts on the
weekends, and I would like to discourage those by including the 15
minute delay.  How would I monitor the /var/log/messages?  Do I need to
use something like sec?

The topic of these login attempts was discussed here some time ago. Don't
sure what was the conclusion, I guess there are simpler reactions:
 -- make sure that your passwords can't be broken (e.g., use private/public
    key pair for authentication)
 -- move ssh to a non-standard port

Regards,
ASK