Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: creating DNSBL for blocking email virus, need suggestion

From: Rob Hughes <rob () robhughes com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 08:35:10 -0600

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 12:10 +0700, Markus wrote:
how if the computer that infected by virus and send email virus is in
a network/LAN? the LAN's server public IP will be blocked, and then
all computer in that network can't send email to my school network.
can we know local IP 198.x.x.x for that computer?

You're right. But blocking 1918 addresses isn't a solution either, since
many networks use those same addresses for their internal hosts. About
all you can do is pick a pain point and decide when too many infected
mails come from a given server, then block it. Further, individual user
systems shouldn't be sending out email. All email from a network should
go through a central server so that it can be scanned. Allowing users to
send email directly from their systems and/or not scanning outgoing mail
is sloppy administration and lax security, almost to the point of
criminality IMO.

how long do you think an IP should remain in the blacklist? because
blacklist can't know if the infected computer already cleaned by its
user/admin.

I'd really suggest that you use some of the free RBLs out there. They
have automated systems that let admins submit removal requests when they
get their network cleaned up.

A good source for these is openrbl.org.

Rob.