Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: radius+ wireless // Yes.. It's true..

From: "Steve Choi (drwx@Argos)" <drwx () argos or kr>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:56:21 +0900

In my experience, IEEE 802.11b and IEEE 802.1X are more vulnerable than other security enhanced standard like IEEE
802.11i.
In vulnerable environment, anybody who have wireless station can sniff most of data. For example, management frames are
transferred to AP with plaintext.
And I've implemented integrated penetration testing tool to test my wireless environment. Throughout my tool, sniffing,
DoS(management, EAP related), session hijacking, and Man in The Middle attack are possible.
Especially, in commercial environment, session hijacking is more dangerous because malicious user can use wireless
without paying.
I recommend to use IEEE 802.11i standard, or certification based IEEE 802.1X.
And also using high bit WEP keys can help you to enhance your wireless environment.