Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: help with forensics on a desktop computer

From: "Anthony J. Cogan" <anthony.cogan () thinkunix com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:01:52 -0600

Checkout SpecterCNE at http://www.eblaster.com/CNE.html

Undisclosed wrote:

[reply address not given due to client's instance on confidentiality]

Ok heres the skinny:
an XP box (home edition) the client feels that it has been compromised from
remote.
The evidence for this they have gathered from Norton Tools (I am unfamilar
with any
logging feature though I do not use Norton Tools). I disabled remote desktop
support
in services and they called me and said again there is evidence of access
from remote.
Now, the location of the computer in their house is in a small secured room
(access
doesnt happen  from anyone except the client from there [that they know
of!]. Yes others
live in the house.

Question is there any effective free or inexpensive (under $100) that
monitors access
both local and from remote. Something that can be installed via
administrative account
and not detected by anyone else using the computer? Or tell me if I am
dreaming but can be
run from a floppy or a CDROM rather than installed? If I am on the right
track maybe
something that puts a log on the A: drive.

Also, Is there any software which anyone might have put on it to compromise
it from remote?
I am aware of PCAnywhere and remote assistance (now disabled).

Treat me like I'm six years old. All comments and answers appreciated.

---