Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Secure FTP Client (WEBDAV)

From: "Simon Li" <simon.li () clipstream co uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:07:21 -0000

From: adisegna () siscocorp com [mailto:adisegna () siscocorp com]

Actually WebDAV is the way to go in this area.  You can map a
drive securely across the internet to transfer files. You can
access the same information through a web browser (for
download). The only port required to be open is 443 for SSL.
It works great for Technicians on the road as well as
customers needing access to documents and files. FTP is old news.

This sounds like an interesting alternative at sftp. How does it compare
in terms of setting up/maintaining separate private user accounts, and
would you recommend it for transferring large files? The scenario I have
in mind is having multiple accounts for clients with their own private
filespace on our server, securely transferring large media files
(perhaps up to 2GB or more) for us to process.

Simon