Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall and VLAN security design

From: Ghaith Nasrawi <libero () aucegypt edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:03:01 -0500

interesting ... but i think they can't disallow this trick (for
usability reasons), otherwise, you have to specify on each port of the
switch whether the connected device is a regular machine which is not
expecting tagged frames, or a switch that needs to lookup for tagged
frames and maybe filter them in the appropriate manner. So, i think they
trick to avoid this problem is doable, but it would put more hassle on
the networks admins. to configure each single port of the switch
accordingly.