Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: NMAP Scan of My Company's Internal Network: 666,880 IP addresses in 49 hours

From: "Shaineel Singh" <ssingh () kbs net au>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:14:32 +1100

From: cgkanchi [mailto:cgkanchi.seclist () gmail com]
Personally, I'd rather run a scan of all TCP ports once a
month or once in two months than a restricted scan once a week.

Considering the scan took 40+ hours to do, I would be careful with the
timeout and level of 'aggresiveness' on the scan. We wouldn't want to
flood the network and unwillingly cause DOS to servers.

/me shudders at the thought of all those IPs running Appletalk in some
convoluted parallel universe :P

Shaineel Singh
p: +61 411 046 935
e: mailto:ssingh () kbs net au
w: http://203.220.32.126/~ssingh/

pgp: 91AC 0F02 B206 36F9 F414  D1EE 8545 94F0 7804 A1EF