Security Basics mailing list archives

Password management

From: "Leon North" <leon_nc () linuxmail org>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:13:03 +0000

Hi,

We are looking for advice on how others handle recording of passwords in IT departments.

Whenever we look at this all we get back are Single Sign On (SSO) & related solutions, which is not what we want at the
moment. We are more interested in purely secure & granular network storage for passwords. I'm surprised there isn't
more around that does this, given that there must be plenty of IT departments still without SSO, that are needing to
remember a number of regularly changing passwords for various systems. How do they record them, but also only allow
appropriate levels of access, i.e. access to passwords of systems that each person in the department should have access
to?

So far, apart from simply encrypted, password protected spreadsheets, the only solution that I have found that does
precisely this is the Cyber-Ark Password Vault. If anybody has used this or any other similar products I'd be very
interested to hear what, and how well they worked.

If not, what do you do instead?

Any help appreciated.

Leon