Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Card Promiscuous Mode

From: Dhaval Vasa <dhaval () net-square com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 19:08:13 +0530

Windows 2000 includes a Network Monitor agent for use with Network Monitor, but XP doesn't include such an agent. However, Microsoft included the netcap.exe utility as part of the Support Tools on the XP CD-ROM. Netcap is a command-line tool that provides capabilities similar to Network Monitor. On the first execution, Netcap installs the Network Monitor driver and binds it to all network adapters, which lets the full Network Monitor product operate against the machine.

- Dhaval

Dhaval Vasa
Netsquare Solutions Private Limited
dhaval () net-square com
http://www.net-square.com/

Chris Halverson wrote:

I have a technician in Barbados that is trying to troubleshoot some network tunnel problems and I wanted him to sniff
the wire for what type of traffic is coming over the link.  He is using a laptop with Win XP and I wanted to know how
to switch the network card into promiscuous mode to accept all the traffic comming over the link.  Is there a way to do
this with a native windows interface or does it have to be done with third party tools?  Can you use the NETSH utility
or again is it somewhere else?

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html