Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cisco CSA

From: "Gary Freeman" <Gary.Freeman () rci rogers com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 08:29:18 -0400

I agree with Bryan,

Better to use an inline distributed solution to a major problem like
worm propagation than try to police every workstation.  We have a
standard desktop with McAfee and Microsoft updated via a scheduler.  CSA
is fine for systems running Cisco's agent but what about vendor laptops
or rogue systems that don't adhere to the corporate policy.  They (in
our experience) are the usual suspects when faced with systems that
don't conform to our policy.

We use IDS (haven't chosen an IPS vendor) and NetScout to watch the
network core and all of the remote edge networks for worms.  We are also
analyzing netflow statistics with Arbour now to detect infected
workstations.

Cisco pitched us on CSA last year when we had Nachi and they had just
acquired the product.  The product falls short of meeting all
requirements and in the final analysis, added more over-head to desktop
management.

// Gary Freeman //