Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Detecting Network Sniffers ???

From: "Sutton, Nathan" <nathan.sutton () hp com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:36:23 +1000

Hi Jonny,

I am a network security person but not yet an expert in this field so
you may wish to seek clarification on my point below.

In sniffer must put the network card attached to the network in
promiscuous mode. The presence of a network card in promiscuous mode is
what you must be looking for. Some IDS's can actually detect this.

Have a look at

http://www.securiteam.com/unixfocus/Detecting_sniffers_on_your_network.h
tml

That will set you on the path to finding other ways of detecting
sniffers on you network.

Regards,

Nathan Sutton (cissp)
Security and Technology consultant