Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: restricted management for some users.

From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan () DavidClark com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:20:08 -0400

Why not install the admin tools on his workstation, to eliminate the need for him to log on locally...

Then make him a member of the Domain Account Operators group.

As to the ERP, make a domain group called "ERP Admins".  Make the "ERP Admins" group a member of the "Administrators"
group on each of the 5 machines.

Of course, assuming that the ERP machines are not DC's... if they are, there is no such thing as "Local Administrators"
for those machines, and it is going to be far more difficult to do what you desire.

Then, as your ERP admins (these 2 guys) come and go from the company, you can simply add their replacement's (or
assistants or whatever) domain accounts to the domain "ERP Admins" groups and be done...

Remember: AGLP

A - "Accounts" get put into
G - "Global Groups" which get put into
L - "Local Groups" which should then be assigned
P - "Permissions" (in this case, administrative access)

HTH,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.