Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Caching a sniffer

From: Patrick Toomey <ptoomey3 () mac com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:59:46 -0500

I haven't been following the complete thread, but scratched my head after reading the recommendation on port mirroring. It was my understanding that port mirroring was introduced because of the inherent differences between a switched environment and a hub environment. Switches by default don't let any one port listen to all traffic (unlike a hub where all users have this ability), and thus there was a need on managed switches for administrators to selectively allow certain ports to act as though they were on a hub, to place an passive IDS, or to debug general network traffic. If someone is running a sniffer on your switched network and has the ability to login to your switch, enable port mirroring, and sniff data, you have much bigger problems than just having a rogue sniffer on the network.