Security Basics mailing list archives

SHA Encryption

From: "Ramsinghani, Aashish (EM, GECIS)" <Aashish.Ramsinghani () geind ge com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:44:53 +0530

Hi,
I don't have the password for my Netscape Directory Server 4.2 admin logon. I checked up the local.conf file which
stores the password and found out that it is encrypted with SHA. Is there any way I can decrypt this to get the
password in plain text?
I also tried to paste the SHA password from another server and pasted it in the local.conf and admpw file but it
doesn't work, I think it also authenticates from the namespace within the server.
If anyone has any information on this it will be really helpful.

Regards,
Aashish Ram Singhani
BI Dept, GE CIS ITServices

Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
wireless security

Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
ownership.

Download your free trial at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_security-basics_040301