Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Needed Help!

From: Francisco Rodrigo Cortiñas <frcmsec () terra es>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:32:45 +0100

The key is not in making the packet, and make the PC send it; what do
you know about the target? You have to know (I think) that Microsoft
closed the bug without the need of a patch, so making the ping of death
is not the way to crash the NT. You have to gather info about your
target to crash it; it’s the first rule of any type of attack.

You have to think about the possibility of making an attack to the
target  though the ICMP protocol, in some of the ports of it (echo
request, echo reply, etc). I don’t know the exact text of your
laboratory question, so I cant tell you if this is what they are asking
you to do.

NOTE:: To make the PC send the packet, you have to modify the Windows. I
don’t tell you more, you said to us you was learning... go and discover
it by yourself.

NOTE2:: To ensure you are sending the packet, put an sniffer on the NT
and see the packets you are sending.

Francisco Rodrigo Cortiñas.
CCNP, MCSE, MCDBA.