Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Legal? Road Runner proactive scanning.

From: "Bryan S. Sampsel" <bsampsel () libertyactivist org>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:02:06 -0700 (MST)

Don't lose any customers...the packet filter I have drops any further scan
packets, but continues to allow regular traffic to flow.

However, if you don't think there's any legal issues with portscanning,
try scanning the government sites.  See how long it takes to get some
attention brought on you.  ;)

Besides, commonality of an occurance does not minimize it.  Script kiddies
are common, exploiting whatever the exploit-of-the-week is...

If you want protection, use the RBL engines out there...some of them even
allow you to scan your own system for relay capabilities and exploits.

I have no truck with my ISP scanning me, provided it's made clear up
front.  I do have problems with somebody I am not contractually linked to
doing so.

IMO,

bryan

Bryan S. Sampsel