Security Basics mailing list archives

restricting telnet via username

From: Gregory Dunlap <gtdunlap () midsouth rr com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:55:22 -0600

Hello all,
  I'm attempting to restrict a telnet session of a group of users who
need to run one application on a server.  They login via telnet and that
is the only option at the moment.  They need to run a shell script and
then that will launch the app.  I've set the shell for these users to
the shell script so they won't have access to anything but this app.  I
would like to restrict the telnet daemon further to allow only certain
user names so they can't do a brute force attack.  In sshd_config I've
aways used allowd users setting but I don't see that in the hpux telnet
config.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg