Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: email address "spoofed"

From: "Adrian Hall" <ad3y () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:51:31 -0000

You can spoof a domain name but the IP Address will give away the sending
server.
From this you can use reverse DNS to identify either the owner of the domain
or their ISP.
Once you have these details then you can report the incident to either the
administrator for that domain or the ISP's abuse email address.
Hopefully then the admin or ISP will contact the abuser and put a stop to
the problem - which seems mostly to be the result of virus infections on
home PC's of late.

These are about the only steps you can take to tackle the real issue but if
the problem continues and uses the same IP Address (or limited range of
addresses) each time then you should be able to block incoming traffic from
that (or those) addresses that is destined for Port 25 on your mail server.

Regards,

Ade.