Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: passwords in asp pages

From: "Tiago Halm" <thalm () netcabo pt>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:05:21 -0000

Hi Ian,

1. The connection to SQL should be done by NT Authentication rather than SQL
Authentication. That way there will be no password involved, only its hash.
When using SQL Authentication the password itself may be viewed by a
sniffer.

2. The DB connection (in terms of efficiency) should use connection pooling
in order to optimize the available connections. Read throught MSDN about
this.

3. The Server (where IIS resides) should be secured enough from prying eyes.
As an example, your ASP pages only need READ access depending of your IIS
authentication. When using:
        a) Integrated Authentication - give ASPs the READ access to
"Authenticated Users"
        b) Anonymous - give ASPs the READ access to IUSR_MACHINENAME (or any
other account you may have configured to anonymous access to IIS)
        c) Basic Authentication - don't use it :p
Other security features need to be taken into account. Microsoft's site has
a lot of details of how to "harden" your IIS Server.

Hope it helps,
Tiago Halm