Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: GOTOMYPC Corporate?

From: "Mark Medici" <mark () dbma com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 15:34:59 -0500

I have used it myself, and have recommended it to clients because it is a reliable and simple method to circumvent
firewalls an NAT boundaries for outside remote access.  And I have recommended to other clients to block it outright
for the same reason.

It's primarily a policy concern.  Either you want to allow remote access or you don't.  If you do want to allow remote
access, then GoToMyPC is a very nice and very well-supported application choice that can be installed and used by a
novice.  The ongoing cost of GoToMyPC is only slightly higher than the support and maintenance costs of doing it
yourself via VPN and VNC, and is much more usable (IMHO).  The two-year cost is lower than pcAnywhere when initial
setup and ongoing support are factored-in, plus GoToMyPC is better supported (every try to get support from Symantec?)
and "nicer" and more convenient to use.

GoToMyPC does encrypt traffic, requires two separate passwords to connect to a host, plus optionally a valid Windows
logon/password on the host.  This is accomplished without drilling holes through your firewall and/or installing or
configuring ad hoc VPN connections between the remote and the host.  In fact, the GoToMyPC remote can be a kiosk or
Internet café machine -- it doesn't have to be a notebook or home computer.

DBM Associates * Mark A. Medici * Senior Consulting Engineer
Whitehouse Station, NJ USA * +1 908-534-1665
mark () dbma com * http://www.dbma.com