Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Preveting DDOS Syn floods on HTTP servers

From: "Shaun Sturby, MCSE Optrics Engineering" <Shaun () Optrics com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:30:44 -0700

Hello,

<Disclaimer> I work for a consulting firm that sells and supports this type
of solution.

This has been done, at least for the larger sites (Learn Key, Rapattoni,
Belo Interactive, SingTel, Brylane, SEVEN and NetZero to name a few) using a
purpose built web accelerator from NetScaler. The idea is that all SYN
requests get handled by the NetScaler and it hands back to the requesting
zombie a ticket that a legitimate client will return to the server. Only
after the ticket is returned does the NetScaler then forward on that request
to the web server. All SYN flood requests are dropped by the NetScaler and
never get to your server to impact performance. The NetScaler also handled
HTTP Get Flood DDOS's using a similar technology.

There is some additional information and whitepapers available (Registration
required or contact me off list) at the main NetScaler website.

http://www.netscaler.com

Shaun, Manager of Technical Resources
Optrics Engineering.