Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Simulating Attacks

From: Gene Cronk <gcronk () trsg net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:46:49 -0500

Just curious, but why simulate? Throw up a laptop with an unpatched install of NT4 Server with IIS or Redhat 6.2 and show the actual attack instead of a simulation.

Bhargav Bhikkaji wrote:

Hello Folks,

I am in need of simulating few attacks as demo to a group of 50. Need your help/suggestion for choosing the following

1) What attacks should i choose ?
2) How to simulate these attacks?
I am thinking of few attacks like Buffer Overflow, TCP Hijacking but  don't know how much effort is needed to simulate
these. I am not interested in TCP or ICMP DOS Attacks.

-Bhargav
Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

!DSPAM:40476758243514092616466!

--
Gene Cronk MCP,Security+,iNet+,Network+ (gcronk () trsg net)
The Robin Shepherd Group -- Systems Administrator