Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Internal POP3 users

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:13:16 -0800

  Why is it "a major security concern"?  Are you supposed to be
providing them with connectivity, or not?  If you are, DHCP
service is kind of the least you can do.
  Do you have resources that you want to protect, that are not
adequately protected by your domain authorizations?  What kind
of resources are they?

  If you want to keep them off of the segment where your domain
is, then yes, you need to put them on a separate segment and
implement some kind of policy enforcement where the segments
meet.  If you're trying to restrict what they can do with the
bandwidth you provide them, that's a different problem with a
different set of answers.

  And what does this have to do with POP3?

David Gillett