Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Recommending an IDS system

From: "AJ Butcher, Information Systems and Computing" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:00:07 +0000

--On 01 March 2004 17:18 -0600 Josh Mills <JMills () cnbwaco com> wrote:

I have implemented a new cisco ids solution and i am very pleased with
it! the signatures are highly tunable for a commercial package and it
seems to be pretty stable. the sensor itself runs on redhat so maybe it
isnt that much different than snort.

Is this Cisco's Secure IDS appliance? The last time I looked at them (Aug 2002) they were running on top of Solaris x86 on Dell Poweredge hardware. The NIDS itself couldn't be more different from Snort; back then, it didn't give any information to allow the analyst to decide whether an attack was successful or not... :(

I don't see any mention of a switch to RH for CSIDS on Cisco's website, so I'm a little confused...

Best Regards,
Alex.
--

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/InfoSecInstitute_security-basics_040303