Security Basics mailing list archives

Strange files on C:\

From: "Di Fresco Marco" <superdif () infinito it>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:12:27 -0700

Hi all,
I hope this is the right list for this kind of problem; in case this
is not, please forgive me and suggest me the right ML. :-)

In the last few days I noticed the following strange files in C:\
(from the date and time they seem to be created regularly, like daily
or more often):
06/09/2004 05:58 PM     0 tas
06/09/2004 05:58 PM     0 tas.1
06/09/2004 07:22 PM     0 tis
06/09/2004 07:22 PM     0 tis.1
06/09/2004 03:03 PM     0 tj8
06/09/2004 03:03 PM     0 tj8.1

I have done some search in Google, but I didn't found anything
relevant.

My daily (nightly actually) scan with McAfee 7 Pro. fully patched and
updated didn't complained about anything (actually I still have to
see the scan with the very last virus definition released today); I
also tried the web "FreeScan" (from McAfee) just in case it is even
more updated than my installed version, but still nothing.

I tried to scan with both AdAware and SpyBot fully updated, but
nothing (some cookies until yesterday and even nothing today).

I tried Hijack This, but I do not see anything suspicious (I didn't
post the log to their forum as it was suggested because all the
elements reported seem familiar to me - eventually I can post it here
if you are interested on it).

Both Windows Task Manager and Process Explorer (SysInternals) don't
show anything unusual (I can post the Process Explorer list if you
want).

Do you have any idea from where these files came from? Is there any
other tool/procedure I can try to identify them?

Thank in advance.

Di Fresco Marco
http://home.comcast.net/~superdif/

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html