Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows patch mgmt.

From: "Britton, Jeff B." <JBBritton () LMUS LeggMason com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:49:16 -0400

Bob,
   Testing is always a problem with limited resources, although there are
tools such as HFNETCHECKPRO, ECORA...etc that can apply the Microsoft
patches very quickly.  Some tools have the technology to identify any
services that have stopped running after applying the patch.

   With 300 desktops and 50 servers, a tool like the ones mentioned above
would be fairly cheap and save an enourmous amount of time when applying
patches.  Give them a look.  (I recommend HFNetCheckPro from Shavlik,
although it ONLY supports the Windows environments.)

Jeff