Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ISP reconfiguring cable modem?

From: "Joshua M. Jones" <jjones () isgwichita com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:11:13 -0500

Let me throw this scenario at you folks. What if you owned your own
cable modem and the ISP DID modify your modem such as flashing the
firmware? I have a good example of that. The Motorola has a way of
uncapping or editing your config file as you will. What legal rights
does the ISP have upgrading a personal modem that bought from an online
store? That would be another interesting topic to discuss as I am sure
many ISP's are implementing their own ways to prevent abusers stealing
more bandwidth.