Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: upgrading to IE6 on w2k servers

From: Dan Barr <danbarr () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:56:51 -0400

If you're actively browsing the web from those servers, you absolutely
do need to upgeade to the latest version of IE with all security
patches applied. Also, the files used by IE are also used in other
parts of the system, for example in Windows Explorer. So it's not
*just* IE that you'll be upgrading, it's many core system dll's.

However, web browsing from a server for purposes other than going to
vendor support sites to download drivers/software is a pretty bad
idea. You're just begging for spyware/adware to infect and degrade the
performance of your servers.

Dan