Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: fax software in the domain

From: "Henry, Christopher M." <chenry () radiologycorp com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:00:28 -0400

I have been reading through all these posts and I am wondering if this
is not a bit of over kill. I have 3 computers on my network that require
the use of a modem. The only steps I took were

        1. make sure the app or the PC does not answer calls
        2. In my PBX I only allow out going calls over this line

It would be a pain in ass to try to maintain a second security policy
for these PC and really I don't want to deal with it.  Also to the
outside the modems are invisible so there is really no way for an
attacker to dial in.  Even if you don't have a PBX, as long as nothing
answers the modem line everything be fine, after all what are they going
to do ring your modem to death?

This communication is intended only for use by the addressee. It may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact us immediately and then delete this
message from your system. You should not copy or use it to disclose its
contents to any other person. Thank you.