Security Basics mailing list archives

Authenticode ID inquiry

From: Janice F <janice_2k () hotmail com>
Date: 23 Jul 2004 08:25:51 -0000

Dear gurus and members,

I am very new in digital certificates and authentication matters. I created an exe application ( 2 dlls are required to
run this application) for my e-learning website. The user is requested to download and install the application on the
1st time they go to my site. After that, whenever the user clicks on a button on their browser, the vbscript will
launch the application(located on the user's computer).

Currently, I found problems in accessing the application from the browser. ActiveX bugs keep disabling me to run the
exe file. However, after I select 'Prompt' to enable download unsigned ActiveX controls from Internet Options ->
Security Settings, a message box displaying 'ActiveX control on this page might be unsafe...Yes/No' pop up. If I click
Yes, it will run my exe application smoothly. I do not hope to request user to change their browser security settings
to "low" as it opens the door to malicious programs and users are at risks. Therefore, I wonder if I digitally sign my
application could solve this security problem. Besign getting code signing ID, is there other methods to go around this?

Looking forward to some reply soon.

Thanks in advance,
Janice

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html