Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Minimum password requirements

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () isecureu com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:14:08 -0400

You might want to make sure "F" meets company policy to cover FMLA etc. Some
company personnel could be on extended medical leave for longer then 30
days.

Minimum password length, which is "arguable", (stealing Sonja's term) should
be set to 8 or higher.  The NSA/NIST guidelines use 12, the Common Criteria
use 8. In MSFT environment greater than 7 insures that you at least break
into the second half of the LM hash store. But, you really want to insure
the LM hash store of the password does not even exist. If this is a MSFT
environment invoke the NoLMHash store on all machines.

Dave Kleiman, CISSP, CISM, CIFI, MCSE
www.SecurityBreachResponse.com