Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Any reason not to use strcpy, strcat or scanf?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:30:51 -0700

  These functions rely on a null byte as terminator of the source, so
it can be of arbitrary length.  Ensuring that it will actually fit in
the destination buffer is performed elsewhere, IF at all.  The variants
which allow a maximum length to be specified guarantee that an excessive
input elsewhere will AT LEAST not be propagated.

Dave Gillett