Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Need Tips for Security Job Interview

From: Dave Dearinger <daved () mdon-line com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:25:23 -0700

I would ask some of the following questions.
Do you have a home network/computer? Describe how your home network/computer is organized and what steps have you taken to secure your setup. Describe the procedure you would use to restrict access to a developer subnet from a customer service subnet and how would you know if the access restrictions have bee bypassed? What would you do if you discovered an employee that you had developed a friendship with had exceeded their network access permissions? What if that person was your manager? What would you do if a superior asks' you to perform a task that you know could be a network security risk? Have you ever been disciplined by an employer or university administration for network security violations? How much time, on average, would you say that you spend reading on computer security in a week? Tell me about the latest computer security issue that you are aware of given a computer running {$company_OS_of_choice} that has been patched to a fully up to date state three weeks ago?
What is SYN/ACK?

Some people may be less of a BOFH, but I really do think that a good indicator of how security conscious a potential employee is by how well they protect their own stuff. I believe in George Carlin's perspective of "My stuff, your cr@p". Don't be surprised if you get a quite a few ethics questions.

-Dave Dearinger
-Network Administrator
-MD-Online Inc.
-daved () mdon-line com
-1-888-397-3434
Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). The message is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil penalties. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the material from any computer.