Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Would you pay more ...

From: Don Voss <voss () albany edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 08:27:26 -0400

Big day, two posts.

Jeff wrote:

Regarding standard consumer broadband connections ...

Would you pay more to only have the following destination ports open
to the internet originating from your broadband modem:

     tcp  21 - ftp
     tcp  22 - ssh
     tcp  25 - smtp
tcp, udp  53 - dns
     tcp  80 - www
     tcp 110 - pop3
     tcp 119 - nntp
     udp 123 - ntp
     tcp 443 - secure www

[snip some ..]

I would REALLY like to hear from those of you that work in the ISP
field. I have always been on the receiving end of an ISP -- never
worked in that trench. But I suspect that this type of firewall could
be built into every single cable/dsl modem used at little expense.
Indeed, could save lots of money on bandwidth.

Consider Grandma now ... she typically isn't a gamer and need other
ports open. Nor does she work at home and require a vpn. BUT she is
the MOST likely to get hit by some exploit, and it's her damned box
(x 1,000,000) uselessly eating up bandwidth because some smart-aleck
*&#$ing script kiddie bas(*&#$

.... ohm-yelli-mon ... ohm-yelli-mon ... OK, ok, better.

Jeff

Jeff,

A easy no. Because of grandma. Your missing the end user experience.
I've had Popeye and olive oil neighbors who came back from the mall with a gateway, called up road runner and invited me over for pizza. By the second slice they had asked is this the net? 3 or 4 times.

I stopped back for more pizza a few weeks later .. she was on some talk pal thing talking to who knows who where about quilts, he showed me all his WWII buddies he found , their ship www sites and then fired off his WWII flight game, gift from daughter, connected to a game zone, joined a private squadron [no cheats] and proceeded to shootem up over a decent rendering of the French country side .. complete with call signs and wise crack messaging.

These two did not have a clue about port numbers or protocols nor did they care.

They were all concerned about the web news they were reading regarding their machine being attacked by bad guys on the net.

Kind of like going to the bad side of town to a wild bar .. great fun but need to get back to the car with out being mugged.

With your Idea .. what are they to do ? How does one teach them, work with them ?

Are you saying they should all wear the same generic clothes because fun clothes are hard to take care of ? 1984 ? Pass me the soma.

/don

--

Donald W. Voss                                     voss () albany edu
Sr.Systems Analyst

OK, the jokes is over, you can bring back the constitution now.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html