Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ... may be a dumb question ?

From: Jimi Thompson <jimit () myrealbox com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:51:36 -0600

Michael Gale wrote:

Hello,

        I have a question, I want to make a secure web site for me and a few
people. So this is my crazy design.

I setup Apache with PHP and am using mod_ssl. I created my own CA on a
linux box. I then created a CSR for the web server and
signed it with my CA.

Now I give all the people I want to have access to the site my ca.crt
and they import it into their browser. So now there browser will accept
my site's cert :) with out the warning.

Now if they are running a linux / unix box I can have them create a CSR
and have my CA sign it. Then they can import that cert into their
browser.

Now if I understand it correctly when the client accesses my site the
server and client will exchange certs and trust each other :) unless I
add the user to the CRL.

The rest of the traffic will be over SSL ... so is this a secure way of
allows access to a directory ?
Do you see any problems ?

Your URL's must all be https:// & not http://

HTH,