Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Dynamic password authentication scheme

From: Sasha <spamit () mail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:49:31 +0200 (IST)

You maybe interested in the following paper:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~hopper/secure_human_identification_protocols.pdf

Secure Human Identification Protocols
Nicholas J. Hopper and Manuel Blum

One interesting and important challenge for the cryptologic community is
that of providing secure authentication and identification for unassisted
humans. There are a range of protocols for secure identification which
require various forms of trusted hardware or software, aimed at protecting
privacy and financial assets. But how do we verify our identity, securely,
when we dont have or dont trust our smart card, palmtop, or laptop? In
this paper, we provide definitions of what we believe to be reasonable
goals for secure human identification. We demonstrate that existing
solutions do not meet these reasonable definitions. Finally, we provide
solutions which demonstrate the feasibility of the security conditions
attached to our definitions, but which are impractical for use by humans.

Regards,
ASK

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!