Security Basics mailing list archives

Granny Ware

From: "Andy Cuff" <lists () securitywizardry com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:01:40 -0000

Hi Folks,
I'm sure we all have friends, relatives and possibly colleagues who insist
on using the Internet with zero security, their rationale usually being "Who
would be interested in what is one my computer" .....  " I paid for
antivirus 3 years ago, and I haven't changed my computer so it should still
work"

We hold a sweepstake at work for the relative with the most viruses, I was
winning with 44 for a relative who'll remain nameless, but was beaten just
before Christmas by a guys Uncle with 67!

Anyway, back to the topic.  I have been collecting links to free security
tools for a variety of purposes  Anti Virus, Personal Firewalls, Net Nanny's
and Spyware which is at
http://www.securitywizardry.com/mischomeuse.htm I've still to find a free
antispam tool for Windows Outlook and Outlook Express, but I think the page
has sufficient content for it to be useful.  Please let me know if you have
any suggestions for improving the advice, products or content.

I did have one recommendation for including a free clampdown tool for
windows, but haven't found one that is easy enough for the average homeuser,
any ideas?

take care
-andy
PS I have uploaded a new page for Attack Mitigation Systems (not for Granny)
Talisker Security Tools Directory
http://www.securitywizardry.com

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!