Security Basics mailing list archives

decrypting files without the sam db

From: "J. Yoon" <supercool9000 () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:23:10 -0500

Is there any way to decrypt the encrypted files if I no longer have the same sam database in the computer? Many of the xp bruteforce crackers seem to rely on the key/database file, but is there a cracker that can decrypt the file itself simply based on my admin password,
without relying on any other file?

I have reinstalled XP and have the same username/computer name/passwords,
and as I was about to move over the files from the key recovery disk,
the disk been damaged. now my encrypted files are no longer accessible.

I've tried EFS key from lostpassword.com
but it keeps saying that the password i entered is incorrect
when infact it IS the correct passwd.

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max! http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/plus&ST=1

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less. We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention, and many other technical hands on courses. Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off any course! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------