Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: XP box maintainance and lockdown

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:12:05 -0800

        Switch to SuSE? ;-)! Looks like you pretty much got it covered.
Did you check you logs? Lock down and set some policies via gpedit?
Adaware is not that good; there is one out there that Adaware took the
engine from, that's the one you want to use. Adaware misses some
registry bound bugs.

        Keep the personal firewall, (I like ZoneAlarm PRO myself, works
great). Get SpamBayes and forget about that opt-out crap, I don't trust
it as far as I can throw it. Get a good popup blocker, or use Mozilla
and that will fix your IE security problems and Popups for good.

        Don't forget to grab a PGP program to keep your data secure, if
you want. gPGP has some good for Windows now and some tools to interface
with popular email programs. I use PGP8 for windows and gPGP for my SuSE
desktop.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA