Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: XP security permissions

From: "Steve McLaughlin" <steve () Lan com au>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:51:23 +1100

Firstly, it is good practice to keep things as simple as possible,

You should add all of the restricted users to their own group, and then
remove them from all other groups except the group you created and the
inbuilt users group. This should keep things restricted enough. And they
will not be able to install programs or tweak your system very much. The
inbuilt USERS group is used for very restrictive use as you require.

This will also protect your OS from harmful deletion of important system
files.

As for all the permissions you mentioned, it is ok to leave them all as
default, unless you want to explicitly deny permission to a specific folder.
In which case you would use the group you created to set the permissions.
And not the inbuilt groups.

Also, It sounds like you may have tweaked the privileges on the folders a
bit more than you should have, in which case, it may be easiest to reformat
and start again.

steve mclaughlin | enlite technology
(MCSA, A+, Network+, Server+)