Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: iptables firewall

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:39:46 -0800

        Because iptables "netfilter' lives at the kernel level if it's
disabled so is your server, kernel panic most likely. The easiest way to
defeat a NAT filter is to plant a Trojan inside the network, seaming
most people only filter the inbound traffic and not the outbound
traffic. Run NESSUS against the server to find any 'gaping'
vulnerabilities. We had some good discussions about IPTables a while
back, check the archives and those should help out a fair amount. As
always http://www.netfilter.org/ is your friend.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA